The U.S. Open Championships
The Pell Cup (US Open Singles) & The Bertolotti Cup (US Open Doubles)
The Pell Cup
The US Open Singles Championship
In 1957, Ogden Phipps in New York donated a cup named for Clarence C. Pell and presented to the winner of the Open Championship. The first tournament for the Pell Cup was played in Detroit on March 10, 1957 and won by Ken Chantler of Montreal.
The Bertolotti Cup
The US Open Doubles Championship
In 1966, Hayes MacFarland, Jr. wrote to Clarry Pell that Chicago would like to host a new event, an open doubles championship, along with the Pell Cup/Open Singles Championship. It's intent to increase both the draw for the singles as well as provide more opportunity for play for all participants. Ten years later, the U.S. Open Doubles Championship became an important fixture on the NARA schedule. Hayes also offered to organize a trophy for the event, which eventually was donated by the Racquet Club of Chicago and named the Bertolotti Cup after the club's long-time professional.